|Foster Parent Training Requirements and Sources
|Foster Care License Required Training
- Orientation - (3 hours). (Training can be taken on-line or in classroom setting.) All
applicants are required to complete Orientation. Orientation must be completed before
taking Caregiver Core Training.
- Caregiver Core Training is made up of eight sessions (each three hours long/24
hours total) with a break for a field experience at the mid-point.
Session 1: Introduction to the Child Welfare System Field Experience: Participants have the opportunity to learn outside the
Session 2: Working as a Member of a Team
Session 3: Working with Birth Families
Session 4: Cultural Connections and Advocacy
Session 5: Growing Up with Trauma, Grief, and Loss
Session 6: Understanding and Managing Behavior
Session 7: Communication and Crisis Management
Session 8: Getting Ready and the Effects on the Caregiving Family
classroom by choosing an activity that will give them more awareness of the
experience of children within the system or of the role of a caregiver for children
in the system.
The sessions are designed to help you understand how the system works,
what your role is as a member of the team, how to effectively work with birth
families in order to best support the child, how caregiving may impact your own
family, child development and the impact of trauma, all about attachment, how
to incorporate and honor a child's culture into your own family, and more. The
sessions include the voices of former foster youth, current caregivers and birth
parents who have been involved with the system.
Additional Required Training for each applicant
(SAY, PAY, Minimizing the Risks of Allegations. PURPLE Cry training, Medication Administration and Mandatory
- So Now You Have Your First Placement - Required for all foster parents during the
first the first three months of their license.
- Working With Children Who Display Sexually Aggressive Behaviors(1.25 hours
on-line or can be take as classroom training)
- Working With Children Who Display Physically Aggressive Behaviors (1.25
hours on-line or can be taken as classroom training)
- CPR/1st Aid/BBP-HIV certification – Training must include hands on training for
infant/child/adult (on-line certifications are not accepted). Free training is available for
foster parents, applicants and support persons through: keepthebeatcpr.org.
- PURPLE Cry/Safe Sleep – Training is required for all applicants of homes licensing
for children under age 1 year. Training is provided by the Agency, contact your licensor
to arrange training.
- Minimizing the Risks of Allegations - There are two groups of foster parents, those
who have survived an allegation and those who have not yet dealt with an allegation.
Understanding the process is the key to successfully dealing with an allegation.
- Medication Administration for Caregivers
- Mandatory Reporter training
Reporting hours are counted as continuing education training)
Continuing Education requirements for licensed foster homes:
- During the first 3 year license period the foster parents must complete 36 total hours of
Department approved training.*
- During the second 3 year license period the foster parents must complete 30 total
hours of Department approved training.*
- During the third and subsequent 3 year license periods the foster parents must
complete 24 total hours of Department approved training.
* During each licensing period foster parents are required to take a minimum of one class
in each of the identified training competency categories of:
- Understanding and Teaming with the System
- Working with Children and Families
- Supporting the Caregiver family
We recommend that every foster parent complete the Mandatory Reporting and Prudent
Parenting trainings during every licensing period.
For a more detailed description of training requirements click on: Caregiver Continuing
See the Foster Parent Continuing Education Tool for acceptable training sources. If a
certificate is not issued for the training use the Training Video Worksheet to document training
Click to download: Foster Parent Continuing Education Tool
Video Worksheet Word PDF
A list of trainings that fulfill the above competency category requirements is available from
your licensor. During each licensing period one Cultural Event may be counted for required
training hours with prior approval from your licensor.
CPR/1st Aid/BBP-HIV Training
CPR and 1st Aid training must be completed in a classroom setting with hands on
practice. On-Line certification is not accepted. CPR training must include infant,
child and adult. Proof of training is accepted from any certified trainer.
Absolute Breath of Life CPR Co. 253-572-6700
They charge for training, but there is generally no waiting
Links to Continuing Education Training
PURPLE Cry Training-is now available on-line. When you sign in you will
create an accounts so you can return at anytime to review the videos or materials.
Print the quiz and submit it to APCH for 2 hours of training credit.
Links to On-line & Video Continuing Education Training
Other training sources - Check with your licensor for preapproval.
- Foster parent meetings that include training.
- FPAWs; Foster Parent Association of Washington
- Child specific behavior therapy that includes foster parent participation..
- Child specific medical training for feeding tube care, Diabetes care, etc.
- College courses that are directly applicable to foster care.-
- Attendance at a child specific cultural event (maximum of 12 hours per license
- Orientation, Caregiver Core Training and CPR/1st Aid training does not count
toward required continuing education hours.
- It is strongly recommended that both persons on a two person license accrue
training hours. If both parties watch the same 1 hour training video it counts as 2
hours of continuing education credit for the home.
|Foster Parent Association of
The Association is a great source for foster
parent information and they sponsor some
great training events
Alliance training will not be available from January 21-28, 2019.
They will be doing major updating of their website duirng that time.
On-Line Orientation-copy this address to your web browser: